A day of dogged devotion for the divine feline, a clowder of cat lovers will converge in the capital of the Canadian province of Alberta on May 30th for the second annual Edmonton International Cat Festival.
- Nala, a tabby/Siamese who made the leap from shelter life to life in the spotlight, always uses her celebrity status (she has 1.8 million followers on Instagram!) to help cats in need. Fans will have the chance to meet the charismatic kitty, who will reveal what it’s like to be a pawparazzi magnet during a Q&A session.
- Striking poses for the camera as they ‘watch the birdie’, cats can tap into their inner Cindy Clawford for photo entries for the Mr. and Mrs. Purr-fect Cat Beauty Pageant. Pet parents must send in a photo of their feline friend for each category: swimsuit, formal and everyday, as well as a photo of their cat with their answer to the ever-popular pageant question, “How would you make the world a better place?”
- No cat festival would be complete without a showing of mini-meowvies, and kitties who dream of lapping up the limelight are invited to submit their YouTube video in one of the following categories: comedy, drama/action and cute. Fans of films and felines will view and vote on the video finalists.
- Fans of felines can put on the dog (or, in this instance, the cat!) for a cat -themed clothing competition.
- A plethora of presentations, including cat entertainment technology, cats in popular culture and the world of show cats, will cover a wide range of cat themes.
- Potential pet parents can meet an array of adorable adoptables from area rescue organizations, and families with felines can ponder possible purchases for their purring pals in the vendor area.
For a Paws Cause
Combining feline-inspired fun with philanthropy, all of the proceeds from the event’s ticket sales, as well as additional donations from the Edmonton International Cat Festival, will benefit three non-profit organizations– the Edmonton Humane Society (which received a donation of close to $9,000 thanks to last year’s festival), Little Cats Lost and SAFE Team Rescue.
Tickets: $15 through May 29th; $20 at the door
When: May 30, 2015 from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Where: NAIT Gym at 11762 106 Street in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
For more information:
- visit www.edmontoncatfest.com
The following video offers a look at last year’s event:
Photo Credit: Edmonton International Cat Festival